- Coal Loader Centre for Sustainability
- June 2, 2018
- Saturday, 11:00AM to 1:00PM
Bookings for this event can be made here
What to do when you have a garden glut too big to eat fresh or swap?! Let our experienced canner, preserver, grower and forager Kirsty Berte show you how to enjoy your homegrown, seasonal produce, year round.
This workshop will arm participants with the knowledge they need to safely and confidently waterbath can/bottle, and pressure can fresh ingredients. Not only do these techniques add a new dimension to cooking, but they also extend the shelf life of produce for 12 months +.
Take this opportunity to get hands on and complete the canning process from start to finish under supervision. In this particular workshop we will be pressure canning carrots. The skills learnt here can then be applied to a wide range of other fruits and vegetables. Participants will also be taken through the steps involved when waterbath canning.
This session will cover:
• Food safe practices for boiling water bath canning of high acid and acidified foods
• Food safe practices for pressure canning of low acid foods
• Detailed information on canning equipment, tools and ingredients
• Canning your own or locally sourced seasonal produce to last throughout the year
Along with their jar of preserved carrots, students will take home an information pack containing all content covered in the class and additional recipes to try at home.
No prior knoweldge required.
Registration includes all supplies.
Light refreshments will be provided.